Image Map

Tuesday Travel Diaries: Thailand

14 February 2012


Okay, so TTD this week?
I'm stealing the spotlight to write about Thailand.
Is that selfish?  Only four installments of TTD and two are all about me?!?!
Oh well.  'Round these parts, I'm in charge.  

The basics: where, when, & how long?
Thailand for 10 days:  4 days on Koh Phi Phi island, and 6 days in Phuket {Karon Beach.}
 

What route did you take?  And how much was the flight?
We flew Thai Airways from Syd-->Bangkok-->Phuket.  It was roughly 11 hours in the air.  I didn't have to pay for the flight because it was a work trip...but they are about $1,100.

Who did you travel with? 
I traveled with my friend Claire, who works for the same company.  So we spent the 4 days in Koh Phi Phi together before heading back to Phuket for conference.
 

Tell us where you stayed.
Phi Phi The Beach Resort
&
Hilton Arcadia, Karon Beach
 

Did you encounter anything unexpected?
Claire and I missed our connection in Bangkok...all because we cannot read military time.  That's pretty embarrassing to put out there, yet oh so true.  I've never missed a flight before in my life...but alas, they put us on a later one without much hassle.  We clearly pull off the "dumb girl" look a little too well.
 

How accurate are the stereotypes?
I figured the island would be pretty quite and low key....but it was much more like The Hangover 2.  So, I'd say the stereotypes are pretty spot on!  The bars in Phuket were filled with 'lady boys' and people trying to get you into ping pong shows.

{One of many over-decorated bars in Phuket...Patong Beach...aptly named Tiger Tiger}

Tell us about the food.
Thai food pretty much rocks.  I'd heard great things about the road side stands...and it's true...super delicious and el cheapo.  Aaaand, I ate papaya until I was sh*tting orange.  
 

Were there any must see’s?
The islands are absolutely the place to go in Thailand.  The cities are kind of dirty and have a hustler vibe, which I didn't like.  However, there are many uninhabited islands, with amazing views, pristine waters, and excellent snorkeling.  Maya Beach {a short boat ride from Koh Phi Phi} is where Leonardo Dicaprio's The Beach was filmed.

{Fire show on a tight rope, Slinky's Bar in Koh Phi Phi}

Do you have any regrets?
I was very hungover on our last full day on the island.  So much so that I missed our snorkeling tour {that was booked for 2pm.  Seriously hungover.}  I'm totally bummed that I missed the tour because I love looking at sea life and wanted to check out some of the smaller islands.  Therefore, I also regret drinking Vodka/Redbull buckets, which caused said hangover.  Will I ever learn?  Buckets of alcohol are not my friend.



Would you go back?
Yes!  I'd love to check out Koh Lanta and some of the less touristy islands.  There's also a huge bash for the Full Moon in Koh Phangan, which would be work checking out.  Mainly though, I'd love to just island hop and enjoy the simple life by the ocean :)


Anything else you'd like to share about the trip?
My job is better than yours?  Haha!  In all seriousness, it was pretty freakin' awesome to have a work conference overseas.  It never would have happened in a million years when I was working for the same company in the U.S.  So I'm just very thankful for the opportunity to travel!

Oh!  And I learned tons of new British/Aussie slang from Claire...but I'm saving that for another post ;)
 
{Cutie hanging out with her parents at a roadside food stall.}
 {Beautiful dancer from our Awards Night}

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Thailand link - this looks amazing! I think I would venture to the islands....the photo made them look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and love!
Every comment makes me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...