Image Map

Tuesday Travel Diaries: Fiji

27 March 2012


Hi Everyone!!! My name is Kloi-Jayd and I hail from the NSW/VIC border in Sunny 'Straylia. You can catch my Ramblings at www.ringlesswife.wordpress.com
Before I get ahead of myself, a HUGE thank you goes to Emmy June for allowing me this guest spot. When I got her email I am pretty sure I laid an egg from excitement!

We went to Fiji on a 14 night cruise where the theme was "Food, Glorious Food." The cruise was called "Fiji Escape" and we went with P&O on one of their Princess Liners. We left on August 26th, 2011, and got back on September 9, 2011. The cruise went to Vanuatu and New Caledonia, as well as Suva and Port Denarau. We got a day at each port where you could either do your own thing or take part in a pre-organised excursion.


Within 15 minutes of boarding, we had scoped out the best relaxation points!
Within 15 minutes of boarding, we had scoped out the best relaxation points!
Sam and I just after boarding. We were so excited!
Half of the ship that we would call "home" for 14 days.
Half of the ship that we would call "home" for 14 days.
We flew from Albury, NSW, to Sydney, NSW, which cost us about 300.00AU return. We elected to take this way of travel as Sam had to travel from Melbourne so we could meet at one spot. It also negated parking fees, 12 hours travel drive (return), and it was cheaper than fuel, once you factored in food, drinks and stops along the way.

From there we went to Sydneys Wharf where the boat was waiting to depart. The cruise itself cost us 1700.00 AU each not inc. spending money. All up, we spent about 5000.00AU and that covered us for spending money, tips, souvenirs and excursions organised by the liner. Sam took along 2000.00 AU spending money for herself.

The fish that greeted us on every island
The fish that greeted us on every island
I'm still amazed, six months on, at how beautiful the water was.
I'm still amazed, six months on, at how beautiful the water was.

On my overseas jaunt (Omigosh, I can honestly say I have now been over seas! It still thrills me to my bones!) there was my partner, Daniel, our friend, Sam, and Me (Hi!). Taking an extra person on our first time was the best decision, I feel. We had another person to join in making our memories, and someone who we got a long with really well. It meant that there was always someone up for something, even if just a stroll around the mile long deck.
First glimpse of land in two days!
First glimpse of land in two days!
sam and I on the Isle of pines
Sam and I on the Isle of pines
The stereotypes of laid back living, amazing hospitality and beautiful scenery were definitely upheld. It is not a lie, in any way shape or form, when you are told that it is a whole different life on Fiji. However, the negative stereotypes about Suva are well and true, also. Suva was the only place in which I felt scared. We weren't advised before disembarking that they were in the middle of a civil war, which is something I really think they should have, as getting off the boat to see uniformed men checking us all out while holding machine guns was scary in and of itself.

A Fijian public toilet
A Fijian public toilet
The food in Fiji is amazing, although I have to be honest that I didn't taste a lot of the local fare. The food they have on the ship was fantastic though. You had breakfast, lunch, and morning tea, afternoon tea, and supper tea. (Say hello to the 10kg I brought back home with me!) I did, however, try some Indian food in Port Denarau in order to fulfill one of my big dreams, which was to eat a Vindaloo while in Fiji. (Any Red Dwarf fans out there will get this meaning!!!)

The food on the ship was sumptuous, delicious, and always available. You could eat at the buffet upstairs, in the 5* restaurant down stairs, or in the Upper Upper Class restaurant that was on the top deck. We ate mainly in the buffet, and toward the end in the middle restaurant, but never tried the High Deck eatery. Call me crazy, but paying 38 dollars for a steak was not high on my to-do list.

A meal in the 5* Restaurant
A meal in the 5* Restaurant
Fullfilling my "Red Dwarf" Dream in Pt. Denarau
Fullfilling my "Red Dwarf" Dream in Pt. Denarau
Eating on Board
Eating on Board
A major must-see while you are in Fiji is Pt. Vila which is the main "Duty Free" shopping precinct. A bottle of alcohol which would fetch easily $90.00 AU was going for around $14.00, not to mention electrical (Think all I-Products) and perfume (hello, Dior!) goods available at, quite literally, a quarter of the price.

One of the big things for Dan and I to see was the Hard Rock cafe which is in Pt. Denarau. I have always wanted to go to one of these Cafe's and to go there was a big thrill. Seeing things that some of my favorite Rock stars had signed and touched had me giggly like a school girl walking past One Direction.

Hard Rock Cafe in Pt. Denarau
Hard Rock Cafe in Pt. Denarau
downtown Vila
downtown Vila
Sam in DownTown Vila
Sam in DownTown Vila
The only thing I would do differently next time would be to take more money so I can participate in more activities that are planned. Doing things on your own is fine, but when you have never been to the country and are unsure of how to handle customs and behaviours, it's best to have a guide who knows what to do and how to do it in a way that is respectful to the local culture. I would definitely do this in the case of Suva, so that I wasn't in a situation where I felt out of control. One of the big things I learnt was to ask permission before photographing any locals.

locals need to be asked before taking photo's of them!
Locals need to be asked before taking photo's of them!
I would go back in a heart beat. It was a fantastic holiday that has left such an impression that next time I hope to take some school supplies to one of the schools that needs it. It really was amazing, lumps, bumps, and sea sickness included. As a by-note, I don't care how much you don't get sea sickness - take some tabs, because when the sea gets rough, it gets rough!
_______________________________

Kloi-Jayd, thanks so much for sharing Fiji with us!  It's so close to Australia and is definitely on my list.  :)  If you enjoyed this week's TTD, go show Kloi-Jayd some love over at Ringless Wife.

If you've been featured on TTD, please grab the button below.

Tuesday Travel Diaries


And lastly, I'm always looking for bloggers to feature.  If you'd like to share a trip {new or old} on TTD, please E-mail me at emmyjuneborninmay(at)gmail(dot)com.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emmy! Just foudn your blog and I have loved looking around! It really makes me want to travel more- what with your guest post about the fiji cruise and your comparison of australia and usa. I need to get out more for sure! So glad I found you and look forward to following along :)

    new follower :)
    bonnie
    bonnielousia.blogspot.com
    (hurry over- I'm giving away earrings today!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and love!
Every comment makes me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...