Image Map

Blogger Book Swap

02 April 2012

A couple of weeks ago I signed-up to participate in my first ever "bloggers send each other shizz" event....formally known as The Blogger Book Swap, hosted by Heather at Blonde Undercover Blonde.

Heather paired me up with the fabulous Meg of O is Me.  You probably already know Meg...in fact, you're probably on of her 700+ followers...but if not, let's just say she's pretty awesome.


We traded some emails back and forth, getting to know each other and what the other person likes to read.  I'd heard around the blog world {cough, CaitEmma @ Linen & Leaves} that Divergent by Veronica Roth was a good "fill the void that Hunger Games left" kind of book.  I shared this info with Meg, and she got me the book!

Thanks to technology, a cross-continent book swap is no biggie.  I received the gift via Barnes&Noble as an e-book, and promptly downloaded it onto my nook app for ipad.  I actually own the nook as well, which seems rather superfluous now that Apple's taken over my life.  

So, about the goods....

Here's what Amazon says:

"In Beatrice Prior’s dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue—Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is—she can’t have both. 

So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are—and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, she also learns that her secret might help her save those she loves . . . or it might destroy her."


The sad news for Veronica Roth is that she's no Suzanne Collins or J.K. Rowling, despite the fact that she'll be relentlessly compared to both.  

The good news for Veronica Roth is that I got completely sucked into the book, nonetheless.  The writing is less sophisticated and the plot far more predictable than Hunger Games.  However, I really loved the romance and I found myself cheering for the heroine.  Once the plot grabbed me, I couldn't put it down and finished it within a couple of days.

The book is part of a trilogy and, sadly, book #2 doesn't hit the market until May 1.  So I'll have to be patient before I find out what happens next.  

All in all, I enjoyed the book, and especially enjoyed the Book Swap.  Thanks to Meg for the great book & to Heather for hosting the swap :)

If you want to know which book I picked out for Meg, you'll have to head over to her blog to find out!


Now I need a new book to read.  What say you, bloggers?

13 comments:

  1. I am so glad to get to "meet" you and get to know you! I love what you sent me. I'm glad that Divergent was awesome and helped "fill the void"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh can't wait to go see what book you got her! And to check out her blog - because I am not one of those 700+ followers...yet ;)

    AND I felt the same way about Divergent. I really enjoyed the story once I got into it, despite the fact that the writing was a little less sophisticated, as you said.
    I am excited for #2 to come out though!

    Happy DAY! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The book swap idea is so fun, especially because you can swap e-books! I reccomend The Magicians by Lev Grossman if you want a harry-potter-esque book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this book a couple of weeks ago when my pen pal suggested it! Haven't read it yet, just waiting to finish up the ones I checked out from the library first since they're due in a couple of days, eeeek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously, I already read O. Is Me, and I've met Meg, because... we're both H-town bloggers! WAHOO!

    Glad you liked the book swap! And I hope your meditation weekend was pure bliss! Love to you this Monday (for me)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...For some reason, reading the description it just sounds like a wannabe Hunger Games?

    And as I'm sure we all are, we have a special place in our hearts for HG. So....is this not the case?
    Worth the read?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I found your blog! Love it. And I loved Divergent. It was so great! (Though it doesn't top Hunger Games for me.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My latest favorite read was The Perks of Being a Wallflower. Loved it, plus it is super short and easy, but covers some serious issues. Reminded me a bit of Catcher in the Rye.

    Hope your retreat was great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I just found your blog through the bookswap. And I'm a follower. And I could recommend twenty million (ok, that might be an exaggeration) different books to read. Can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you liked your goods!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wondering about this book, it sounds like a good beach read. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, what a great idea. Love the idea of a blogger book swap. I will defnitely head on over to Meg's book to check it out.

    I have not yet read the Hunger Games (I know ... plonk me over the head!) But, might be persuaded as the film has gotten such good reviews, and a cult following to rival the Twi-hards.

    Also, just stopping by to let you know I have nominated you for the Kreativ Blogger award over on my blog.

    Head on over to my blog to check it out:

    http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky duck - Meg is awesome :)

    Divergent is such a good book - it was my first read for 2012 and I adore it. So excited for Insurgent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and love!
Every comment makes me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...