Image Map

Tuesday Travel Diaries: Turkey

08 May 2012

Today's TTD is awesome.
Want to know why?
Because it features my real-life friends, Jon & Jen.
Jon and Jen are great friends of ours in Los Angeles,
and they are also well seasoned travelers.

I know you'll enjoy reading about their trip!



The basics: where, when, & how long?
 Turkey for 13 nights:

5 nights Istanbul
1 night Canakkale
2 nights Kusadasi
1 night Pamukkale
1 night Konya
2 nights Cappadocia
1 night Ankara

What route did you take?  And how much was the flight?
 We flew from LAX to IST on Turkish Airlines.  The non-stop flight was 13.5 hours.  The tickets were a steal, $550 each (including taxes + fees). 

Who did you travel with? 
 My well-traveled husband.
Goreme rocks and fairy chimneys, Cappadocia

Tell us where you stayed.
 We stayed at 7 different hotels throughout Western Turkey.  My favorite was KoruMar Hotel in Kusadasi.  The hotel was in an outstanding location that overlooked the Aegean.  The view from our room was breathtaking.


Did you encounter anything unexpected?
 Since most hotels in the States only offer non-smoking rooms, I did not remember to inform the hotel reception that we wanted a non-smoking room.  Our room not only smelled like smoke but the ceiling and room vents were covered in soot.  Around 3 AM my husband woke up vomiting from the strong smell and had to sleep in the bathtub for the remainder of the night.  We could not change rooms because the non-smoking rooms were occupied.

Tell us about the food.
 Turkish cuisine is very tasty. Dining in Turkey is affordable, you can get a full meal and drink for about $7. 

Tea is an importation part of Turkish culture, it is offered after every meal and in any social situation.  The offering of tea is considered to be a sign of friendship and hospitality.

Were there any must see’s?
 There is so much to see and do in Turkey.  Here are a few of my favorite experiences:

City of Ephesus, Ephesus. Famous for its temple of Artemis, one of the seven wonders of the world.




Hot Air Balloon Flight in Cappadocia. Cappadocia is known around the world as one of the best places to fly with hot air balloons.



Pamukkale hot springs, Pamukkale



Ozkonak Underground City, Cappadocia.   The top four floors are open for public exploration.



House of Virgin Mary prayer wall, Ephesus


Bosphorus Cruise, Istanbul


Do you have any regrets? 
Nope. 
  
Would you go back? 
Absolutely, I would love to explore the Aegean Region or take a Mediterranean cruise.
  
Anything else you'd like to share about the trip?
 Turkey is underrated.  It is friendly, beautiful, culturally rich and a good value.  Rick Steves says it best, "Those who haven't been to Turkey wonder why anyone would choose to go there. Those who've been dream of returning."

-----------------------------------------

Jen--when you guys are ready to return to Turkey, count us in :)
The trip looks amazing!
Thanks so much for sharing.

Readers--please leave Jen some comment love.  She's a non-blogger, so there's no link to follow.

13 comments:

  1. The photos look incredible. Looks like somewhere I would like to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy smokes! I am all kinds of jealous of this amazing adventure. What a unique place to visit! Would you say it has been your favorite place to travel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is true, i have been to turkey last year and i wanted to go back this year, cant wait to get it book... it is so lovely there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We go to Turkey in TWO sleeps... you just got me TOTALLY excited! WHOOP WHOOP!!! Love Elle xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! Because I've barely traveled, I'm always in awe of other people's photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like they had an amazing trip! Wonderful pictures, too!

    Thanks for letting me know that tip you left in your note. I totally thought that since I could see the blog title when I clicked on my name/picture it was taken care of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really want to go to Turkey- and this post just made that desire stronger!! WOW! Ancient ruins, good food, great bazaars, hot air balloons, and travertine hotsprings- yes, PLEASE! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turkey is definitely on my travel wish list! That's really good to know about the smoking versus non smoking rooms. I'm not sure I could handle that smell either!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Looks absolutely gorgeous! :)) I can't wait until I graduate and save some money so my husband and I can travel! :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never really considered Turkey as a Must-Go destination but after seeing these pictures and hearing about the experience I think I may just have to go! The Temple of Artemis especially look breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks amamzing!!! I love to travel but have never been out of the states, so its fun to read and see pictures of people doing such fun things!!

    i love reading about your posts on travel :) i just added myself as a follower.. you can check my blog out at www.studentswife.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. id like more info on those hot springs. they look liken naturally, hot and delicious wading pools for my pregnant belly. do people swim in them??

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello, its me again :D

    yeah they are amazing place to visit. i was hoping to go back end of the summer or beginning of September, when the prices get a little cheaper. I went last september, it was still so hot for me :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and love!
Every comment makes me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...