Image Map

Travel Reads

15 June 2012

While traveling, I've been trying to do a fair bit of reading.
I started off well, finishing a book in the first week.
However, the husband got me hooked on HBO's Breaking Bad,
and we've been watching those episodes during our relaxy time.
Nevertheless, here are the deets on the two books I finished.

{via}
This is the second book in a trilogy.  The first book is called Divergent.  I read the first book as a 'fill the void from the Hunger Games' book, and I really liked it.  Then, painfully, I had to wait several months before the second book was released.

Wow, wow, wow was this second book great!  I was sucked in immediately, read it during every spare moment, and thought about it for days after finishing.  The books are about a futuristic society in which people are part of a faction based on their personality traits {either selflessness, knowledge, peace, or fearlessness.}  The books are written from the perspective of a young heroine who finds herself going against the grain.  And there's a little romance, too!

{via}
This book was recommended to me by Clare, from C Squared W.  As much as I love Clare, I did not love this book.  The story follows different characters that work for a newspaper in Rome from the 1950's to present day.  However, the author jumps from one character's story to the next, without ever fully finishing the story.  That really bothered me.  I love character development, so to leave me hanging at the climax in each character's plot, when you might truly get to know them was frustrating....and it felt like a cop-out.  The only silver lining is that it was a quick, easy read.

What have you been reading lately?


Linking up with  Heather and Katie for Book Club Friday.

10 comments:

  1. YES! Love, love, love the Divergent trilogy! I loved how Insurgent picked right up where the first left off. And the end of the book was amazing, on the edge of my seat for more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Divergent & Insurgent!!! I'm a huge book nerd. Have you read The Wolves of Mercy Falls trilogy by Maggie Stiefvater? Those are some of my favorite books ever :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!! A trilogy. I recently reread Harry potter, did the hunger games; the girl with the dragon tattoos and the twilights. Now I'm reading a James Patterson and I'm missing a series. I can't wait to check it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still haven't finished Insurgent! I still just can not bring myself to finish it and then wait for a small eternity for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. After force myself to finish 'Fifty Shades Darker' (please don't judge me), I'm going to start on 'Gone Girl' - heard great things about that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm the Imperfectionists sounds intriguing... perhaps a bit of Mad Men?

    P.S. LOVE Breaking Bad - can't wait for July!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to check out this first series that you're talking about. I've heard a lot of people mention it. I just finished reading Bloom, which is Kelle Hampton's book and now I am either going to start The Bloggess's book or Mindy Kaling's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may have to use The Imperfectionists as part of my Summer Book Challenge - I'm assuming since you didn't like it you wouldn't be recommending it right?

    I finished Confessions of an Ugly Step-sister last week, which was a pleasant read. It was a bit darker than I expected but was still written well. It's by the same Author who wrote Wicked.

    I'm reading All the Pretty Horses right now. But I don't know how you feel about Cormac McCarthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't even get through the first chapter of the Imperfectionists, but Gone Girl was awesome. I recommend that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Insurgent was so good! I love how Roth just started where Divergent left off :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and love!
Every comment makes me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...